Denmark will now a have golf tournament on the European Tour. From 2014 to 2016, a new Danish golf tournament, Made in Denmark will become part of the European Tour. It has just been announced at a press conference today.
Made in Denmark is from 2014, the title of the new Danish golf tournament on the European Tour. The venue for the tournament is the recently renovated BACKTEE New Course at Himmerland Golf & Spa Resort. Made in Denmark will have a prize fund of 1,5 million Euro.
Thomas Bjorn said: “It’s fantastic news for the Tour and the country that we’re having a new tournament in Denmark next year. I think Himmerland will be a perfect venue, and I hope the Danish golf fans will come along and support the tournament in good numbers. With Thorbjørn [Olesen] playing so well and a lot good young amateurs coming through the ranks, it’s a good time for Danish golf and having a European Tour event in Denmark can only help grow the game even more.”
“My first win as a professional was the Himmerland Open on the Challenge Tour in 1995, so in many ways that’s where it all began for me. I remember winning in the play-off and it was a great feeling to get your first professional victory, especially as it was in my home country. It would be lovely to win at home again on the main Tour almost 20 years later, but most of all I hope the tournament is a great success – and I’m sure it will be.”
George O’Grady, CEO, European Tour said:” It is very big for European Tour to go to Denmark. With the Danes European Tour has got fine partners with great visions and plans. The quality of the course is very high. European Tour is very lucky to salute this vision and we have found another very, very strong and visionary partner.”
Lars Larsen, owner of JYSK and Himmerland Golf & Spa Resort, said: “This dream opportunity has now become a reality. Made in Denmark will focus partly on Danish golf, but also focus on Denmark as a golfing destination. By working with a number of sponsors, Sport Event Denmark and other organizations across the North Jutland region, we will ensure that Danish design and innovation are both integral to the event marketing.”
Lars Lundov, CEO, Sport Event Denmark, said: “Made in Denmark complements our impressive event list for 2014, as Denmark also hosts the Men’s Handball European Championship, BWF World Badminton Championships and the IAAF World Half Marathon championships. With golf joining the Olympics in 2016, we will now have even more focus on the sport. Along with the team behind Made in Denmark, we will therefore also ensure that there will be side activities at the tournament to encourage Danes and visitors to get into golf.”
• Made in Denmark will be staged on Himmerland Golf & Spa Resort recently renovated BACKTEE New Course.
• The course was redesigned by the Dane Philip Christian Spogárd from Spogárd & Vander Vaart.
• BACKTEE New Course is approx. 6800 meters long.
• Par is 72 (Hole 11 is usually played as a Par 6 hole, but during the tournament it will be played as a Par 5)
• Himmerland Golf & Spa Resort offers besides BACKTEE New Course also Garia Old Course and a 9 hole Pitch & Putt course.
• Agreement with the European Tour is provisionally applicable for 2014, 2015 and 2016
• In 2014 and 2015, the settlement date, week 33, while in relation to 2016 is awaiting the final date for the Olympics in Rio where golf is on the program for the first time.
• Dates in 2014 are Thursday to Sunday 14 – 17 August
• European Tour consists of approx. 50 annual tournaments mainly in Europe but also in Asia, Australia and Africa.
• Made in Denmark will bring together 156 players from around the world, including approximately. 15-20 Danish European Tour players as well as wildcards.
• The number of participating countries is about. 35
• The tournament is counting towards the Race to Dubai Ranking and the World Golf Ranking.
The people behind the tournament:
• Made in Denmark is operated as a fund Jysk Holding as guarantor
• The event is run by a board and a working group consisting of Thomas Nielsen, Golf Manager in Himmerland Golf & Spa Resort, Claus Birk Larsen, Managing Director, Himmerland Golf & Spa Resort, Lars Larsen and Flemming Astrup, GolfPromote
• Promoter of the tournament is Flemming Astrup, who through his work with the Scandinavian satellite tour; ECCO Tour has been behind more than 150 professional golf tournaments including 7 European Challenge Tours
• The total budget for 2014-2016 is about 14 million Euro, raised in cooperation between sponsors and national, regional and municipal bodies, including Sport Event Denmark and the Danish Golf Union.
• The tournament will have no title sponsor. Sponsor structure is 10-12 main sponsors as well as 15-20 partners.
• Preliminary main sponsors are, Nordea, ECCO, PWC, Willis, SAP, Mercedes Benz, Einer Hessel, Hilding Anders, Freja Transport, JYSK and Garia.
• Prize money will be DKK 1,5 million Euro, of which approx. 270.000 Euro goes to the winner.
Lars Lundov – email@example.com +45 4031 4855
Claus Birk Larsen – firstname.lastname@example.org +45 4013 7787
Flemming Astrup – email@example.com +45 4090 1960
Website: • www.madeindenmarkgolf.dk (site is until further only in Danish)