Thursday the courses for the road race as well as Time Trial at the EuroRoad17 in Herning, Denmark in august were revealed
You can expect a clash of the super-sprinters at the European Road Cycling Championships, EuroRoad17, in Herning, Denmark on august 2nd- to 6th.
Thursday afternoon the courses for the 12 races were revealed, and they promise a hard and fast race for the 800 riders that will compete.
The roadraces will take place on a 20 kilometer loop, that will give spectators 6 chances to see the peloton of the womens race and 12 opportunities to see the elite-men race by. The course is flat, with a good chance of the winner being either a tempo-specialist in a break-away or one of the super-sprinters in a bunch-sprint.
Part of the loop is placed in downtown Herning and thousands of people are expected to watch the race.
The Time Trial-routes will take the riders through several villages, but are otherwise characterized by long, flat stretches of road, where riders can reach very high speeds.
Start and finish will be at MCH Messecenter Herning, the largest Expo-center in Scandinavia. That secures optimal logistical conditions for the approximately 45 nations that will participate as well as the press. The location also means that a large area for campers and campervans can be placed close to the finish line.
EuroRoad17 is arranged by The Danish Cycling Federation, Sport Event Denmark, Herning Municipality and MCH.
– I’m looking forward to five days of cycling with the worlds best atlethes and a giant party for all of the spectators. We are an established host to large, international events, including the start of the Giro’d’Italia in 2012, and we look forward to welcoming Europe to our city once again. Our experience, combined with the professionalism of the MCH-organization will ensure a successful event, says Lars Krarup, mayor of Herning Municipality.
Director of Sport Event Denmark, Lars Lundov, is very happy with the courses.
– Herning has skillfully manifested itself as a strong host-city for large sporting events, and with EuroRoad17 we add another championship to the calendar. The courses that were presented today are perfect for the athletes as well as for the spectators, so everything is in place for a cycling celebration in Denmark in august, says Lars Lundov.
The MCH-facilities include 120.000 square meters under roof as well as larger outdoor areas, and director Georg Sørensen is looking forward to EuroRoad17.
– At MCH we love championships and we love having guests – preferably many guests. I thank Herning Municipality, Sport Event Denmark and DCU for the partnership and this opportunity. It means a lot to us, that we once again can welcome large crowds in Herning, and we look forward to creating the setting for all of the – riders, press and audience, says Georg Sørensen.
Coaches on the courses:
Kevin de Weert, national coach, Belgium:
– For the road race, there is a really nice lap of 20 kilometers. It‘s all flat and the roads are really nice. There is one section with smaller roads but still nice and not dangerous.
– The course of the TT is a real TT course, that is a perfect fit for the strong TT riders. There is a
part on smaller roads but also here it’s not dangerous. Further the course consists of nice big
roads with few corners, perfect for the big gears.
Davis Cassani, national coach, Italy:
Road race: It is a very nice lap. Once the riders reach Herning city there are four corners, that can be tricky, but it will be a race for the fast guys.
Salvoldi Edoardo, national coach, Italy:
TT: It’s is a super-fast course with few turns. It will be a course for the very strong riders.
Anders Lund, national coach, Danmark:
– The course is very fast, and it looks like it could be a sprint-finish. We have fast riders in all categories, so it suits us well. The passage in the city is quite technically demanding and has the feel of a street-race. It will be beautiful races.
Facts about the courses:
There will be three different Time Trial-courses: 18,2 km – 31,5 km – 46 km. The courses are planned so spectators at the start and finish can see each of the riders pass three times.
The road race-course is a 20 km lap. Start and finish will be at the road “Kaj Zartows Vej”. Part of the course is in downtown Herning. The elite men will do 12 laps before the winner of championship jersey is determined.
Facts about EuroRoad17:
When the ERCC comes to Herning around 800 riders will participate. (In 2016 777 riders entered the competions).
Athletes from more than 45 european countries will participate in Herning. You will meet top riders from i.e Germany, Norway, Italy, Slovakia, France, Belgium, Holland and of course Denmark.
The event will feature 12 different competions in Time Trial (TT) and Road Race for men and women in the Junior, U23 and Elite classes.
So far TV-stations from 71 countries have bought the TV-signal from the championships.
Official website: www.euroroad17.dk
Time Schedule 2017 European Road Cycling Championships
Wednesday the 2nd of August
8.30 – 10.00 Cycling for all – Family race (10 km)
10.30 – 12.00 Time Trial Women Junior (18,2 km)
12.45 – 14.30 Time Trial Men Junior (31,5 km)
15.00 – 16.15 Time Trial Women Under 23 (31,5 km)
Thursday the 3rd of August
9.30 – 11.15 Time Trial Women Elite (31,5 km)
12.15 – 14.15 Time Trial Men U 23 (31,5 km)
15.00 – 17.00 Time Trial Men Elite (46 km)
Friday the 4th of August
9.00 – 11.00 Road Race Women Junior (60,3 km)
12.00 – 15.00 Road Race Women U23 (100,5 km)
16.00 – 19.00 Road Race Men Junior (120,6 km)
Saturday the 5th of August
9.00 – 13.00 Road Race Men Under 23 (160,8 km)
14.00 – 17.00Road Race Women Elite (120,6 km)
Sunday the 6th of August
8.00 – 10.00 Cycling for all with time keeping (60,3 km)
11.00 – 17.00 Road Race Men Elite (241,2 km)